Tuesday, October 02, 2007

full steam ahead

Calm waters viewed from the bow of the ship.

02 Oct 2007
day 7
cruise day 2 - transit, Mindoro Island

Our first full day at sea! Luckily, the water has been pretty calm since we've been tucked between islands. The big island to the west is called Mindoro Island and we'll be in its protection for a while. The word is that we've lost some time because of the large tidal surge from the tail end of the second low depression that passed through the Manila area. It may not be as rough on the way back throughŠ unless of course there is another storm here in 2 weeks. I guess it was so rough the captain asked Larry if we could turn around and go back to the dock.

At 10AM, we had our first full science meeting. I have notes of that somewhere. We did introductions of ourselves and Nick and Lee got it all on film. Larry had our route and pointed to the map a couple times for the camera.

I wandered around and tried to get answers to one of the first two questions we have received through NOAA from the website. I went around to the photographers (Emory Kristoff, Nick Caloyianis, Michael Aw) and asked them about their underwater camera equipment and I got way in over my head! Mostly what I got back were numbers and letters of cameras and acronyms for types of lights and funny names of companies that make underwater housings. It was fun and I might have learned something from them. I'll probably need to hear it all about 20 more times before I begin to understand it, though.

At 2PM, we had another meeting led by Mon who summarized the fisheries of the area and Bill who talked about some of the literature that he brought along that pertains to the region and kind of science that we'll be doing.

I think Russ threw some bongo nets in the water to collect some plankton. There was a flurry of activity in the lab to photograph and identify organisms.

Some time in the afternoon, the ship got stuck on fishing line and the navy seals jumped in to fix it. It didn't take long at all and we were on our way again.

Tonight we were able to see bioluminescence at the bow of the ship. It looked like welding sparks bouncing off the ship, but bluish in color rather than reds and oranges. I don't think I've seen such large bioluminescence before. Some people saw dolphins riding the pressure wave off the bow. When the dolphins swim through the water, they also leave behind a wake of glowing bioluminescent organisms. I haven't seen that yet, but I hope to one of these nights.

No comments: