Wednesday, October 03, 2007

calm waters

Calm water and the aft deck of the boat.

03 Oct 2007
day 8
cruise day 3 - transit, Sulu Sea

This morning was the sunniest day so far and it isn't very humid. The weather and the water have been wonderful since that first night after we left harbor.

Sounds like we are going to send people off for a shopping trip in Zamboanga at some point during the cruise. I guess primarily we need more food and Larry said we might have room on the list for personal items. I don't I need anything, though. Some people are unhappy with food - sometimes it is fine, sometimes it is not. I think the catering company isn't used to feeding so many people and so many big appetites. The portions are small and I don't think much of the food is familiar to many of us, so it can be a little disconcerting especially when you're working so hard and sleeping on a boat, the last thing you should be worrying about is if you'll get enough food. We have rice three meals a day and that's okay with me, but I definitely know that is out of the ordinary for everyone, including me. Sometimes the rice is not cooked well, but most of the time it is okay. Peggy said she found a cooked maggot in her rice. After what I saw at the fish market, I'm surprised I can get the fish at dinner to my lips, but I think if I think too hard about it, I won't be able to eat anything at all.

The Navy seals were on watch this afternoon as we passed by certain islands. They stood outside on the bridge level and were keeping a close eye on the boats between our ship and the islands. I guess they are worried about pirates or being attacked. The seriousness with which they take their job is comforting, but at the same time it is somewhat disturbing that it is necessary that they do so.

We had a brief update meeting at 10AM today and then at 2PM we had the SCUBA diving meeting.

Russ took another plankton sample tonight and there were lots of cool things swimming around in it. There were lots of diatoms, too. I think they are still in the lab identifying stuff.

The bioluminescence tonight is not as bright as last night, but that may be because there are a few more lights emanating from what look like fishing boats. It looks like there are several fishing boats out and we are not that far from one of the islands right now. We did spend a large part of today in open water, though.

The big news is that we should arrive on site tomorrow at 6AM and the first work schedule (subject to change, of course!) is posted outside the mess hall:

0600 on site
0630 ROV test dives
During the morning sometime, rig block on crane for deployment of VPR and bongo nets, set up kreisel in lab
1500 (or after ROV deployment) test RopeCam deployment
1600 SCUBA dive. Dirvers: Horgan, Stone, Madin, Caloyianis, Lee
1900 Bongo nets
2000 VPR

No comments: